Back to School at SHS: Important News and Updates
August 26, 2019
Good Afternoon Students & Parents,
We are very excited to welcome our students to the 2019-2020 school year on Thursday, September 5th. As we prepare for the start of the school year, below is helpful information for our first day of school:
- Students should arrive no later than 7:31 AM on the first day of school.
- Bus transportation information has been mailed out. Parents should expect to receive information on bus stops, pickup times, and more early this week.
- Student drop off at the high school will take place in the outermost loop of our front bus circle. The inside loop, closest to the school, is reserved for busses only. School Safety Officers will be outside to assist with this morning procedure.
- Upon entering the building on September 5th, students will be able to pick up their schedule at one of the tables set up in the main lobby. From there, students will meet in the auditorium for a “Welcome Back Orientation” before reporting to period 1.
- Please note that the 19-20 scheduling process began back in January. Student requests were processed and mailed home in the spring. Our master schedule was built based on those requests. Student schedules are set and can only be changed for the following reasons:
- Failure of a graduation requirement that must be made up.
- Success or failure of a summer school course that was not factored into the course requests.
- Scheduling conflicts as identified by counselors (Counselors have been reaching out to families in this situation).
- Southampton High School uses the ScholarChip Attendance System for building and class attendance. All returning students must bring their school ID/Attendance card beginning on the first day of school. Freshmen will receive their ID/Attendance cards when they enter the building on September 5th.
- Returning students who are missing ID/Attendance Cards should report to the ELC between the hours of 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM prior to the first day of school.
- As a reminder, our extra help period will now take place in the morning prior to period 1. Although we encourage all students to take advantage of our extra help period, this period is optional for students. Students can also take advantage of our breakfast program during this time.
- Students enrolled in BOCES programs begin on Wednesday, September 4th. Because this is one day prior to Southampton High School opening, we will be providing bus transportation on this day. Students attending Bellport (BTC) will be picked up from home and transported to the school. Students attending HB Ward in Riverhead should arrive to SHS no later than 7:20 AM. A bus will transport students to HB Ward at that time.
- Southampton High School’s Open House will take place on Thursday, September 12th. An overview of SHS will take place from 6:00 – 6:30 PM in the auditorium. Parents will have the opportunity to visit classroom teachers beginning at 6:30 PM. Please be on the lookout for a mailing with further details.
- Seniors in good academic and discipline standing have the opportunity to leave the high school campus for lunch, park in the rear student parking lot, and enter late/leave early (schedule depending). Students and parents must complete all forms in the Final Forms system prior in order to be considered for Senior Privileges.
- Students may NOT park on school grounds until they have received senior privilege approval through the Assistant Principal’s office.
We are very excited to start off the 2019-2020 school year. We look forward to greeting students on Thursday, September 5th at 7:31 AM. Please do not hesitate to contact us at 631-591-4600 if you have any questions. Thank you.
Brian Zahn, Ed.D.
Dean of Students
August 15, 2019
Good Afternoon Southampton High School,
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year! We are very excited to welcome our new and returning students. As we approach the first day of school, we wanted to share some important information that will ensure a smooth start for all:
- Our bell schedule for the 2019-2020 school has been updated. As shared in prior correspondences, our extra help period, along with our breakfast program, will now take place in the morning starting at 7:31 AM. Period 1 classes begin at 7:59 AM with a period 9 ending bell at 2:35 PM. Please view the 2019-2020 bell schedule by visiting our school website or by clicking here.
- All students and parents must complete the yearly school, medical, and athletic forms through the FinalForms management system. All parents and students should have received an email from FinalForms already. Please call the SHS main office at 631-591-4600 if you need assistance with this process. These forms must be completed prior to the first day of school. You can access the FinalForms site by visiting our school website or by clicking here.
- All returning students are asked to bring their school issued attendance/ID cards with them daily starting on the first day of school. These cards will be used for attendance in all classrooms and office spaces. Students who misplaced attendance/ID cards over the summer should come to the SHS ELC Monday - Friday from 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM to obtain a new card prior to school starting.
- Our last Freshman Orientation is scheduled for Thursday, August 29th at 12:00 noon. Incoming freshmen will receive their class schedules and lockers, take photos for school issued attendance/ID cards, purchase picture packages, and have an opportunity to walk the building and follow their schedule prior to school starting. The orientation should last approximately two hours.
Please be on the lookout for a small mailing that further explains the FinalForms system along with information on our upcoming school picture days. Additionally, we will be sending out further informational emails regarding first day of school procedures and more. We hope that you enjoy the remaining days of summer!
Brian Zahn, Ed.D.
Dean of Students
Buenas tardes comunidad de la escuela secuandaria de Southampton,
¡Bienvenidos al año escolar 2019-2020! Estamos muy emocionados de dar la bienvenida a nuestros estudiantes nuevos y actuales. A medida que nos acercamos al primer día de clases, queríamos compartir información importante que garantizará un comienzo sin inconvenientes:
- Nuestro horario de clases para la escuela 2019-2020 ha sido actualizado. Como se compartió en las correspondencias anteriores, nuestro período de ayuda adicional, junto con nuestro programa de desayuno, ahora tendrá lugar en la mañana a partir de las 7:31 AM. Las clases del período 1 comienzan a las 7:59 AM, y el período 9 terminará a las 2:35 PM. Para ver el calendario de clases 2019-2020, visite el sitio web de nuestra escuela o haga clic aqui.
- Todos los estudiantes y padres deben completar los formularios escolares, médicos y deportivos anuales a través del sistema de gestión 'FinalForms'. Todos los padres y estudiantes ya deberían haber recibido un correo electrónico de 'FinalForms'. Llame a la oficina del Director de SHS al 631-591-4600 si necesita ayuda con este proceso. Estos formularios deben completarse antes del primer día de clases. Puede acceder al sitio de 'FinalForms' visitando el sitio web de nuestra escuela o haciendo clic aqui.
- A todos los estudiantes que regresan se les pide que traigan diariamente y a partir del primer día de clases, sus tarjetas de asistencia / identificación emitidas por la escuela. Estas tarjetas se utilizarán para asistir a todas las aulas y espacios de oficina. Los estudiantes que extraviaron sus tarjetas de identificación durante el verano, deben recurrir a la oficina ELC de lunes a viernes de 8:30 AM a 2:30 PM. para obtener una nueva tarjeta antes de comenzar las clases.
- Nuestra última orientación para estudiantes de noveno año está programada para el jueves 29 de agosto a las 12:00 PM. Los estudiantes entrantes recibirán sus horarios de clase y números de casilleros, tomarán fotos para las tarjetas de asistencia / identificación emitidas por la escuela, comprarán paquetes de fotografías y tendrán la oportunidad de recorrer el edificio y seguir su horario antes de comenzar las clases. La orientación durará aproximadamente dos horas.
Por favor, esté atento a un futuro correo que expliquará más acerca del sistema 'FinalForms', junto con información sobre nuestros próximos días para realizar la fotografía escolar. Además, enviaremos más correos electrónicos informativos sobre los procedimientos del primer día de clases y más. ¡Esperamos que disfrutes los días restantes del verano!
Brian Zahn, Ed.D.
Asistente del Director
Decana de Estudiantes